You’ve probably seen the list of events on the right side of the website, but it typically just shows the next few.
You can access the calendar of ALL upcoming events if you go to the menu and choose
About Us – Calendar of Events
This will take you to the calendar page here, where you can also choose different layouts, and print a paper copy.
If you would like to add our events to your personal calendar, you can use the iCal feed
your big boofy bumper bonanza June newsletter
is now available to snuggle up with in front of the fire!
A few things to note
- Canberra daytime meetings a winner!!! Woohoo!! Next one is Raiders Weston Club 12:30 Wed 27 June.
- our e-book library – we’ve been waiting for revised editions and they’ve come in. Trev administers an excellent collection. Details in the newsletter, free to ACTApple members. Reminder again also of our discount codes for Take Control Books (page 18) and O’Reilly technical books (page 31).
- An interesting chat from Martina about ‘smart homes’. Coupled with a story link about ‘Alexa and Siri’ in Pete’s TidBits. A lot of benefits to smart devices in the home but as always – caveat emptor. Cheap versions of such devices are known to secretly open your home network to external access (making the ‘botnet’ Martina refers to possible). ACTApple has instructions “Using GRC ShieldsUp! To Check Your Modem Security” on how to check the security of your home network, especially after you’ve bought and installed a ‘smart device’.
- And as always a TON of useful bits of info at all levels from Pete to keep you going.
- One of our main benefits is our opt-in General Help email list. You can send any Mac or i-device question (or even just general discussion) to this list and you will normally get a response from other members within the hour. Your question gets seen by everyone on the list and you will usually get answers from multiple people. Likewise you see everyone else’s questions, giving you a good way to learn from the experience of others. See the newsletter for details on the subscription link.
We are pleased to announce that there will be an ACTApple daytime meeting in Canberra this month (the first of regular daytime meetings). Details are:
When: Wednesday 23 May, starting 12:30pm
Where: Canberra Raiders Weston Club – 1 Liardet Street, Weston ACT
This will give members who can’t make night time meetings another option.
Here is a map for those who have not been to the venue.
the May newsletter is now available to members here.
A few things to note –
April newsletter is now available to members here.
A few things to note:
- tons of tips this month!! Some excellent usage info from the last Port meeting, a hidden gem(!) in iBooks from Martina, and of course the always overflowing tips pages from Pete (especially good security links in there this month).
- and don’t forget our e-book library, or use our discount code to buy anything at 30% off (and we also have a discount code on the last page for O’Reilly technical books).
- you’ll have seen Facebook in the news recently. We have an excellent ‘how to’ document by Sandra in Port Mac about securing your Facebook account. I’d sent this around a few months ago, but will do so again in a separate email.
- Seniors expo’s on again – if you have a friend struggling with their tech why not bring them along to our meeting? The don’t have to join but usually do eventually 🙂 We get a lot of members through word of mouth.
I’m up in Port for the next meeting, details inside and I’ll also send around an email for those who want to prepare for the afternoon sessions.