the August issue is now available for members here. An excellent variety of articles in there this month, thanks to all our contributors.
- As you’ll see, we’re in a feedback loop with the government over proposed changes to room donations what our club receives. Details in the newsletter.
- Our September meeting will be our AGM. As with every year, please consider participating on the committee and contributing to our ACTApple success.
- Next Canberra daytime meeting is at Raiders Weston Club 12:30 22-Aug. For your calendar we’ve also booked the room for 26-Sep and 24-Oct, all are Wednesdays.
- Canberra needs a new coffee/tea person, see our newsletter article.
- One of our main benefits is our opt-in General Help email list. You can send any mac or i-device question (or even just general discussion) to this list and you will normally get a response from other members within the hour. Your question gets seen by everyone on the list and you will usually get answers from multiple people. Likewise you see everyone else’s questions, giving you a good way to learn from the experience of others. Your email address is distributed with your question, however note that it is not open to the public – only paid-up ACTApple members are on the list.
your July issue is now available from the members section here. Not just any old issue though…
Our 400th newsletter!!! Woohoo!!!
If you have a picture of some fireworks on your iPhone then bring it up and wave it around.
A few things to note:
You’ve probably seen the list of events on the right side of the website, but it typically just shows the next few.
You can access the calendar of ALL upcoming events if you go to the menu and choose
About Us – Calendar of Events
This will take you to the calendar page here, where you can also choose different layouts, and print a paper copy.
If you would like to add our events to your personal calendar, you can use the iCal feed
your big boofy bumper bonanza June newsletter
is now available to snuggle up with in front of the fire!
A few things to note
- Canberra daytime meetings a winner!!! Woohoo!! Next one is Raiders Weston Club 12:30 Wed 27 June.
- our e-book library – we’ve been waiting for revised editions and they’ve come in. Trev administers an excellent collection. Details in the newsletter, free to ACTApple members. Reminder again also of our discount codes for Take Control Books (page 18) and O’Reilly technical books (page 31).
- An interesting chat from Martina about ‘smart homes’. Coupled with a story link about ‘Alexa and Siri’ in Pete’s TidBits. A lot of benefits to smart devices in the home but as always – caveat emptor. Cheap versions of such devices are known to secretly open your home network to external access (making the ‘botnet’ Martina refers to possible). ACTApple has instructions “Using GRC ShieldsUp! To Check Your Modem Security” on how to check the security of your home network, especially after you’ve bought and installed a ‘smart device’.
- And as always a TON of useful bits of info at all levels from Pete to keep you going.
- One of our main benefits is our opt-in General Help email list. You can send any Mac or i-device question (or even just general discussion) to this list and you will normally get a response from other members within the hour. Your question gets seen by everyone on the list and you will usually get answers from multiple people. Likewise you see everyone else’s questions, giving you a good way to learn from the experience of others. See the newsletter for details on the subscription link.
We are pleased to announce that there will be an ACTApple daytime meeting in Canberra this month (the first of regular daytime meetings). Details are:
When: Wednesday 23 May, starting 12:30pm
Where: Canberra Raiders Weston Club – 1 Liardet Street, Weston ACT
This will give members who can’t make night time meetings another option.
Here is a map for those who have not been to the venue.